Most of the day Friday and Saturday was spent packing things into boxes, sorting things to take to the Salvation Army, throwing things away and getting the house ready for realtors to come check out the house. We really did kick butt on getting the house together. At one point yesterday morning I felt like I was on Extreme Home Makeover and we needed to send the kids a video message of what's going on in the house - no wrecking balls were involved. The realtors were so nice. They gave us a homework list of things to have done before they return next month with a sign for the front yard.
- New doors on the kitchen cabinets
- a new piece of linolium for the kitchen floor and back landing
- paint the front door
- paint the front porch if the weather allows
- paint the kitchen
- paint the bathroom
- paint the closet door in the kids room
That seems simple enough to knock out in a month.
Specifically, my homework is all about "packing and painting". I have already packed a ton. I completely went through the big linen closet. We have listed some new things on ebay. I have a lot more to pack in the basement and then I will have to pack things up in the attic. Then list some more things on ebay.
The realtor told us cooking garlic has to be put on hold - no garlic smells but we can bake all the cookies & bread we want and make lots of coffee.
Friday afternoon we had lunch at Potbelly's then "desert" at Starbucks and listened to Northwestern University softball over the internet - they played this weekend in Arizona. Yesterday after the realtors left we listed some things on ebay and went out for dinner at 8:30.
Now here we are today. Northwestern Softball games at 9 & 10am. Its raining out and we are going crazy in this clean, quiet house asking each other what we are going to do now. If this is any indication of what things are going to be like when the kids go away to college, we're toast. Again, let me say, the kids are not here, the house is clean and we are bored. We did not need the absence of the kids to make us realize how much we love it that our life revolves around them. Drew even so much as mentioned taking one or two of Ashley's teammates down to Northwestern tomorrow night just to have something normal to do. I don't think we will be doing that but those other girls would really love to take Ashley's spot for a night.
I am making an executive decision, we're going to go see the Bucket List.
*note the background color of this blog - the brown for the color of the corrugated boxes I am packing our things into.
Not that the ringing sound of packing tape isn't exciting but thank goodness there are some more exciting things to come:
- The kids trip story and hopefully pictures
- My birthday :)
- Logan's arrival
- Going to Carbondale to watch Northwestern Softball
- Spring Break
- "Sign Day"
- Northwestern Softball Home Opener

2 comments:
You could have done your homework, kids.
I don't know what's going on with you; but, I hope it is what you want and that it works out well for you all.
I am going to be working on my homework all day today thanks to President's Day.
Things around the house are things that need to be done either way but having the kids in a better environment is fair, overdue and much deserved.
If I had not seen for myself what is ahead of them in school - socially and district wise, I would think much differently.
I think we all want better for our children and we are no exception. There are many people who do things for their children because they think it will be good for them.
One example - "tag" here is related to gangs and violence. I hope to redefine that to mean a sticker that hangs from your jacket when you go skiing or snowboarding as part of a club in school.
We have envied Laurie & Randy, Julie & Geoff, even Sarah & Kyle that they have had the opportunity to change their lives and make them just what they want. With the new business closer than ever, this is our opportunity.
It is time - overdue - but it is time.
Post a Comment