ALEX!!!(As in the context when Dave yells at Alvin the chipmunk)
Yesterday was a crazy day. Drew & I both worked all day & all night. Thank goodness for good friends to get the kids where they need to be. Ashley had a Rainbow Christmas party but went home with a friend (Sarah) after so they could go together with another friend (Makenzie). So that accounts for three of us. The fourth one... He was home alone (have you seen the movie?) for about five hours. (are you scared yet?)

The Santa's big brown sleigh comes (UPS) to deliver a bunch of packages.
It wasn't our normal driver who knows he is really an elf, doesn't ring the doorbell even if we're home, just quietly puts them on the back porch. He knows I track my ups packages like kids track where Santa is. I just think it is fun to know the travel information of boxes that I know exactly what is inside. These days, I am extremely greatful for the big boxes - soon to be "packing boxes".
So anyway - Alex brought the packages into the living room and probably sat there for a minute contemplating how much trouble he would get into vs how happy his curiousity would be to know what's in those boxes.
Well, I have a policy that if you are told what you are getting or if you find or peek at anything for you or anyone else without permission, it goes back and who ever is just s.o.l.
I walked in the door at 11:30 last night, went in to say hi to the only one awake to discover ups boxes... open!
I was tired and immediately flipped out.
I was tired and immediately flipped out.It's three days until Christmas - no chance at returning etc. So Alex chooses to open all of the packages! There are not many things in the house for Ashley or Alex so whatever he saw, he will just have to wonder who it is for an is sworn to act surprised on Christmas if anything is for him.
So after some sleep and making Alex into my little x-box free elf for today and tomorrow he did something nice for our neighbor that warmed my heart but he's still not off the hook.
Alex was making hot chocolate, asked if I wanted some, I said no thank you and he continued to make two cups. I just let him go, didn't think much of it. He came back in with his boots and coat on and took a cup out to our neighbor who has been out there for a couple hours now adding more lights because some other crazy neighbor told him they were disappointed in our houses, the least amount of decorations ever at our houses.
I guess if I am baking, he can put up more lights.

Alex is redeemed for opening 1 out of 4 packages.

5 comments:
ps - alex is no longer redeemed. he also went through the entire laundry room. grrr...
Well! Do you remember a little girl riding her bicycle on Route 176? Or driving her folks car while they were gone and running off the road?
It isn't easy to rear children in any context. But we have to try not to hurt them. If you leave a roast to cool on the porch for five hours do you really think the dog would NOT take it? Temptation is pretty strong, as YOU know.
You might want to have a conversation about how much surprising them with gifts pleases you and when he eliminates the surprise it hurts you; and how much you still love him.
You are good kids all and it will be okay.
Love you all,
Dad
thanks, just what i needed to hear. drew & i are going out now to finish up.
at least my parents didn't know about running their car off the road, i put things back just the way they were left. well except for the time i was home from college and took the convertible out. my dad knew, it wasn't quite back in the garage in the exact spot. alex full blown just left everything open like he was startled.
thanks again for being the voice of reason. i love counting on you for that. :)
What a stinker!
drew says its just a boy / genetic thing, is it really because if so, it's putting me over the edge for sure.
Post a Comment