Sunday, November 18, 2007

Fastest Deer Hunt Ever


Drew called about 3:30 this afternoon and I knew it was good news but I had no idea how good it would be. You never get a call in the middle of the day if there is daylight and deer out and about unless he's got one already. Sure enough, they got a doe this morning. When he called they were just north of Milwaukee and he wants to pick Ashley up! This is where Barney's clean up song comes in handy to speed things up. I am going from totally alone and in my pajamas still to EVERYONE WILL BE HOME IN LIKE AN HOUR!!! Pleasantly that was the case. They all came home to a neat house, fire going, dinner slow cooking, Bears playing. Phew!

Drew & Alex left at 9am yesterday. They got up to Bill's place about noon and went out when they got there. Alex said they saw a buck but it looked small so they just watched it. As it turns out, Bill shot that one. This morning at about 7:30 they were sitting in a blind in the field and saw about a 3 year old, nice size doe. Drew shot it and it ran for about 1/3 mile. They followed the trail to a point where they would be in the neighbors property so had to go find out who's property it was, let them know they needed to find it on their property and brought it in.

I'm sure it was much more exciting than this but I haven't been able to get all of the details out of them yet. They are both really modest about it. Drew said it was strange, his shortest hunting trip ever and he is exhausted. I think the combination of the Astro Overnight and Overnight Hunting was enough to do both of them in.


The deer did not come home with them. Bill's property is still in the "cronic wasting management zone" so they took it to a butcher who will take care of it and we will have mostly ground venison and some summer sausages. We can get the meat possibly next weekend.

Hopefully more details and the rest of their pictures will come soon.
Sometimes good luck charms work out for everyone.

1 comment:

Greg said...

I think Alex should write HIS story. I am anxious to hear how he liked it and what he thought about the busy week-end with his hero.