Sunday, March 9, 2008

A Young Authors Story for school

Chasing Shadows
By Alex Lambert

My name is Maddox Cubbie Bleu. I was born june 28, 2003 in Reedsburg Wisconsin. Reedsburg is near Madison. I am the youngest of 5. I was born when the Cubs had a good season and Greg Maddox was a star pitcher that is where the Maddox and Cubbie parts come from. Bleu is a name from my mother’s side of family. Friends and family call me Maddie. I spend my days laying on a leather couch and sleep with an electric blanket at night. I never attend school but I have had some home school.
When my master goes hunting, my job is to flush pheasants, ducks, geese, and quail. This is my hobby because I am a pure bred field hunting dog. I have gone hunting with my big sister Daisy about say nine times in the past four years of my life. My most prized value is when my master throws a ball or plays flush with a pheasant wing in the back yard. In case you could not tell I walk on 4 legs, I am a llewellin setter with a thin fluffy coat that is white with black spots and a few brown accent spots. I am a very popular breed in the united kingdom. I chase bugs, birds, shadows, and varmints like raccoons, rabbits, squirrels, weasels, fox, and coyotes. At night I sleep on a deer skinned rug by the fire.
My hunting buddies are duce, hunter, bella, and well you know my sister daisy. My newest friend is Buckley. When I go hunting I am not really sure what I am supposed to be doing so I hang right with daisy. She is older but my master says she is a good girl so I try to do what she does. She likes laying and rolling in mud puddles but I don’t so I just sit near by until she is done. Even though daisy gets all dirty and smelly our master tells us we did good and buys us a hamburger with no pickles.
I like hunting in the field but my favorite hunting is in the back yard where I always find my best friends, Shadows. Shadows don’t like to play when it is not sunny out so I ask to go back in the house. When Shadows are out they trick me and sometimes lead me right into the garage door or into the fence. That is not very funny but I never get hurt but sometimes I get dizzy from going around in circles just to see that Shadows was following me so everytime I turned around, it turned around.
My master laughs at me like I am playing with an imaginary friend but I don’t care. Only you know who your real friends are. Real friends don’t laugh at you or take your food, they laugh with you and share their food. Today is not a sunny day so Shadows will not be out. I will lay on the back of the couch until I see the sun come out because I know it will be like Shadows get let outside to play just like me.


Alex wrote this story for school. I thought it was pretty cool and worth sharing. His personification of the "Shadows" made me very proud. He doesn't have the patience to proof read his work but the content is good.

4 comments:

Julieanna said...

I agree! I love how he doesn't reveal until the second paragraph that the narrator is a dog! Very clever.

Greg said...

That young man is sharper than he lets on a lot of the time.

I'm proud of him.

Kyle said...

Nice work Alex! You're a natural. If math is still your favorite subject, and you can write this well, you can pretty much do anything you want! Keep it up.

Auntie Ann said...

Another budding author in the Lambert, Bauer family. Big Grampa has that gene, Aunt Julie has it and now Alex.
Look forward to more.
Love ya......Auntie Ann